Tales By The Sea zooms Sunday October 3rd, 5 pm California time. The final 2021 concert. Storytelling for grown-ups. The theme is Detours. Six tellers. Six Detours.
Questions? Email ann: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88364785046
- Juan Martinez Vera grew up in a rural Mexican town and at the age of eleven he moved to the U.S. with his family to pursue a college education. In 2010, Juan graduated from UCLA with a B.A. in Political Science and a minor in Film, Television and Digital Media. While at UCLA, Juan directed, wrote, and produced over 35 projects that ranged from soap operas to the college’s award-winning News show. Immediately after graduating from UCLA, Juan enrolled at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. In his last year at USC, Juan received the prestigious Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Grant to write and direct his most recent project, SPARK. This film went on to receive a US Student BAFTA Award nomination, an award for Best Student Latino Director from the Director’s Guild of America, and a national distribution deal from HBO. Most recently, Juan completed the production of the feature film, SPIKED.
Juan’s goal as a filmmaker is to inspire people to use their imagination to transform their reality. He tells, Let the Wind Carry You.
- Dale Guy Madison is an award-winning educator, LGBTQ activist, playwright, author, filmmaker, performance artist, and doll collector. He knows how to show and sell, as one of the first African American hosts of QVC, and the first to produce the African Marketplace shopping hour on the popular shopping network. To learn more go to daleguymadison.com
He tells, “When the road to selling dresses & diamonds on TV DETOURS To wearing dresses & diamonds instead”
- Monica Piper is an Emmy Award-winning and Golden Globe-nominated comedy writer and comedian. She has written for Roseanne and Mad About You and was the head writer of the #1 children’s animated series Rugrats.
She starred in her own Showtime Comedy Special, “No, Monica, Just You” and was nominated by the American Comedy Awards as one of the top five female comedians in the country.
Her critically acclaimed one-woman play, “Not That Jewish,” ran to sell-out crowds in LA, before a hit 200 performance run Off Broadway. She tells, “Guns, Horns, Apples and Honey.”
- Stuart Jacobson has worked as a laboratory scientist, a baker, an entrepreneur, a stay-at-home dad, a science writer, and now he has found his niche as a Trust Administrator. He does hold a PhD from Cornell University.
In his spare time he writes and tells autobiographical stories. He is a Moth Slam winner and has told stories in curated shows all over the Los Angeles area and in New York City.
He lives in Los Angeles. He tells, “The Vanity of Denial”.
- Vicki Juditz has performed original stories at theaters and festivals across the country, including the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, TN. A frequent Moth StorySLAM winner, she was happy to have her story “Swing Dancing” selected to air on The Moth Radio Hour. During these pandemic Zoom times, she has performed everywhere from Newfoundland to the Netherlands…can Nantucket be far behind? The title of my story is “Care”.
- Mike Lambert is a writer and storyteller who lives in Studio City. Previous story collections include “Homo on the Range – Tales from Oil Can Harry’s” and “Dear Mrs. Eddy – Letters from a Bad Christian Scientist.” He currently sings with the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic Chorus (“Legal Voices”) with whom he has performed as a soloist at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Wilshire Ebell Theatre. Early musical theatre credits include Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (East Coast Touring Company). He was a freelance joke writer for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and a regular stand-up comic at The Improvisation in New York City. He works currently at UCLA as a student advisor in the PhD program in English literature. He is fully vaccinated (Moderna), partially sane (Kaiser Permanente), and truly delighted to be back at Tales By the Sea. Story title, “WALKING HOME”.